[TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement
From: We5f@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:34:08 EST
Carl:

What's analagous to no longer requiring CW for proof of proficiency to be a
licensed ham radio operator is to no longer require students in primary schools
to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division because they can
push keys on a calculator and get the correct answer.

It's analagous to no longer teaching computer science students programming
language because they can use existing programs to write other programs.

That's what's wrong with it.

You're right, it's not a disaster for CW.  It's a disaster for ham radio.
There is really nothing any longer to distinguish us from the CBers.  This is
precisely where the ARRL got derailed in representing the best interests of ham
radio.

The fact that so many new hams, and even some experienced ones (!), don't
understand this is the tragic part.

73, Jim KM5M

---------------------
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
(author unknown)

>Let's be realistic about this new FCC ruling.  It is not a disaster for CW.
A disaster would have been if CW was no longer allowed.  The way it is now,
only the people that want to learn CW will learn it.  What is wrong with
that?  I plan on enjoying CW for a long time.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635<