Re: [TenTec] Corsair II Internal Fuse

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II Internal Fuse
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:55:43 -0600
On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 15:24 +0000, Michael Shortland wrote:
> I have just switched on my Corsair II and - without knowingly transmitting -
> the internal fuse has immediately blown.  No obvious damage inside the rig
> or nasty smells.
>
> Can someone please tell me the most likely cause of the blown fuse and what
> to do next?
>
> 73
>
> Mike G0EFO

Replace the fuse and try it on a matched load. Tentec finals don't have
SWR protection. They depend on the fuse or breaker in the power supply
to shut the PA down before its damaged by an unfavorable load. I use a
16 amp automotive fuse in the line to my Corsair II so its more
sensitive to overload. I've blown that fuse a couple times while
adjusting my antenna tuner with power on. Tentec specifies a particular
fast acting magnetic trip circuit breaker for that protection made by
Airpax.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,