[TenTec] which radio?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] which radio?
From: "yahoo email" <barbiekenw@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:39:12 -0700
In my humble opinion, buying the Orion II or any other $2500+ radio as a FIRST
HF rig is a mistake.  It is not a "novice's" transceiver.
Half as much money for your first one with less features and simpler operation
is the way to go. Definitely.

There are lots of nice radios out there that are designed for your type of
operation.

The Orion II is a contester's or DXCC Honor Roll radio.   Rag chewing or casual
dxing on a modest antenna really requires a more
modest transceiver since all the expensive extras will give you little benefit.
 Its all just good balanced systems engineering.

If, years from now, you ever feel you have outgrown your first HF transceiver
-- you will have progressed down a lane that will lead to
some NEW interest area -- and you will be able to decide between the
features/nuiances of the various choices.

Many years of my early HF years my mouth watered over the super radios others
had.  Then in 5 years what looked like a prize choice
was no longer leading edge at all.  With the expanding digital modes and DSP
and Softare defined radios  -- who can say for sure what
features will be most important.

Ken K5WK/7
(Once a systems engineer, always a systems engineer)