Re: [TenTec] which radio?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which radio?
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:14:42 -0500
I bought a little Ten Tec Argosy II a few months ago as a backup and
emergency radio but find that I'm using it darned near every day.  It's
a very simple little radio to operate, features a wonderful receiver,
garners many unsolicited compliments on its transmitted audio (more than
any other radio I've owned), consumes very little power and can be
easily transported and battery operated.  It's a superb performer on CW
-- as are all TT radios in my experience -- and can even be employed in
the digital modes with no external interface necessary (I operate mine
to and from my computer soundcard directly from the mic input and
headphone output jacks).

The Argosy's output may be only 50 watts (or 5 watts in switchable QRP
mode) but I find that I'm making just as many contacts as I do with my
100 watt radio with equal signal reports.  The greatest bonus is the
price. I got mine with matching power supply for around $225 on eBay in
excellent condition.  So far, the only work I've done on it is to
replace a single capacitor to tame an annoying AGC "popping"
characteristic and added an INRAD crystal filter to enhance the receiver
a bit.  It's a wonderful little rig that I intend to keep always.  If
you're not a contester or rabid DXer, this cute little radio is all you
need to enjoy the hobby.  For a little step up, the Corsair or Corsair
II is a great choice, too.

73,

Craig
W3CRR