Re: [TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion
From: "Barry Gross" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:24:37 -0500
On 1/18/07, Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just a minor quibble: with the Orion set up for normal operating, with
> 8msec risetime (as discussed ad nauseum in the past) and 50% weighting
> on the transmitted cw - I'm skeptical about true unmuting of the main
> receiver between dit characters at an actual 30wpm.
> *******************************************************************************************
>
>   Well Barry, I don't know what to say... You are one of the posters I
> normally give credence...  It must be my lieing ears then, because I DO hear
> what is going on the frequency during transmit - even with the Titan in
> line...
>   Now whether the receiver(s) are completely unmuted I cannot say, but I can
> hear other stations  transmit while I am... I can hear the DX go CQ back in
> my face, etc... 30wpm may be an exaggeration - I normally have the Orion
> showing 26-28 on the screen when working during good contest conditions... I
> usually use 18-20 on 160 for non-contesting given the conditions there...
> 30-32 is mainly used near the end of a 48 hour grind where everyone is up to
> speed after 2 days of code practice  and all I am doing is short, snappy,
> CQs...
>
>   So how do we go about testing this?

I've done extensive testing in the past as well,  as part of the beta
testing.  I  tuned to a 40M SW carrier and transmitted (low power)
while recording rx audio with my soundcard and software that could
display waveforms.  I knew for sure when rx audio was present and when
it wasn't.

Before we go any further, are you sure you don't mean you're hearing
callers between characters as opposed to between actual dits?

73,
Barry N1EU