Re: [TenTec] Omni V vs. TS850

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V vs. TS850
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:37:59 -0800 (PST)
I agree. I have a 765 and an Omni VI here. When conditions
are rough the Omni wins hands down. With lots of atmospheric
noise the IF filters in the Omni are not nearly as
objectionable as the filters in the 765 are. Same for the
Corsair or Pegasus. The key is to ride the RF gain to match
band conditions, doing that with the 765 as well just isn't
as effective.

The 765 has the edge for having silky smooth VFO knob but I
like the overall ergonomics of the Omni VI better. The 765's
keypad functioning is rather clunky. The VI allows you to
maneuver around within a band easier than the 765 does. There
is no easy way to jump up or down in 100kHz steps with the
765 either, the VI it's a piece of cake. The VI also gives
you a way to jump between the CW and SSB parts of the same
band, the 765 doesn't. And the VI also allows any filter to
be used with any mode, comes in handy.

I only sat down with an 850 once for an hour or two during a
Field Day a number years ago, I just don't remember the
particulars that well any more. In general I think it was
quite similar to the 765.

Haven't used an Omni V but I suspect that the extra $'s for
VI(+) is worth it.

Duane (the other one)
N9DG