Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:53:33 -0400
Art,

Boy, do we have different takes on the matter.  When Ten-Tec started
internet-access radio it intrigued me, but something nagged at me.  You
have nailed it, but from the opposite point of view.

DX-chasing requires, AND SHOULD REQUIRE, more than the purchase, or even
building, of equipment.  It requires a long-term (read years, decades)
commitment to changing schedules: going to sleep early so you can get up
early; getting up in the nighttime to take a crack at an opening;
forsaking TV so you can be at the rig when the rare one shows; or
modifying one's vacation schedule.  It may require living with a longer
commute so you can be where the covenants, electrical noise, and terrain
are suitable to DXing.  It may require that you pay extra attention to
the family whenever the opportunity arises, so that you can steal some
time for yourself when the DXpedition pops up.  It may require taking a
rig and antenna on vacation so you can give it a shot from there.  It
may require that you festoon your castle with unsightly wires so you can
be on one more band.  And being a DX chaser may even require that you
say at times: "Well, I coulda haddem, but I just couldn't get back to
the shack'" when more important stuff (also called real life) comes up.
It's just a hobby, not a way into heaven.

As for my own purity, it is sorely lacking.  In the past I worked a lot
of DX on nets, and now I wish I hadn't.  I had the chance to work a rare
one with my call from someone else's shack, but decided against it.  I
admit to having been monomaniacal about DXing, but the view from a step
back reveals that  the chase is more important than the catch.  I won't
take that hell-bent, outta-my-way path again.

I hold no ill will against those who choose to use internet access to
their rigs, but I am sticking with my Omni VI.

73 and good DXing Art,

Jan, KX2A