Re: [TenTec] Airpax Polarity?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax Polarity?
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:14:20 -0500
I had an experience that occurred on a model 544 (the Triton with a digital
display) and the matching power supply.  A series pass regulator transistor
shorted thru putting over 24 volts into the transceiver.  I noticed the
extremely bright display, and like an idiot for some reason I keyed the unit
allowing the overvoltage to be applied to the xmtr circuits.  I had bought
the unit new and had it just a week or two over one year which was the
warranty period.  I went ahead and contacted Ten Tec after repairing the
power supply.  They instructed me to send the 544 to them which I did.  I
got it back repaired plus some other hardware modifications that had took
place since I had got the unit.  No charge.  An Airpax would of prevented
the problem.  I believe later powersupplies were improved with a crow-bar
overvoltage protection circuit.  I have never used the Airpax, I still have
an Omni VI (Opt 3) and matching power supply.

Take care, 73, Jim  de wd4air