[TenTec] 2.038k

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 2.038k
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:14:33 -0700
Initial subjective tests of 2.038k for the Orion II are quite good.  So far:

1.    Band stack register indicator looks great. A, B, C, or D shows just to
the right of the A VFO 1 kHz digit.
2.    You can now tell when you're in split..."SPL" appears in vertical letters
just above the "A" of the A VFO.
3.    AM receiver appears to be much improved.  So far, the only AM station I
can hear on the main receiver is WWV, but it sounds a lot better!   I'll know
more when 75 opens up tonight and I can listen to the guys on 3870.  The BW
opens to 9 kHz!
4.    AM transmit is much better.  Subjective listening to myself on the TS-870
indicates very smooth sounding audio with no need to add treble and reduce bass
as was needed before.  The TX EQ now works on AM.  You can now set the carrier
level to precisely what you want, and there is no change with audio input level
as in previous versions.  Modulation appears to be solid at 100%, even as you
change input levels---the AGC scheme works extremely well!
5.    All of #4 also applies to FM...sounds great!
6.    The "A>B" VFO function now transfers the mode as it is supposed to.  If
you have the PB and BW 'track' set on the in the menu, that transfers also.

Nothing appears to have been broken.  In my opinion, this update is a keeper!
I'll look forward to hearing other evaluations...

                     Ron  N6IE
                www.N6IE.com