[TenTec] 2.038k

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 2.038k
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:18:41 -0500
Finally had a chance to listen a little this afternoon.  So far, I think
this is a real improvement in many areas.  Still have to try out the Orion
I.

NR seems better on SSB with less distortion, the fast attack issue with AGC
is greatly improved, and I like the wider receive bandwidth on AM.  Speaking
of which ...

First observed wart -- on AM receive in the subreceiver there is a
(synthesizer?) switching transient every 2.5 Khz.  Not noticeable if the
band is quiet, but with signals it is very noticeable and relatively
intrusive.  I'd have to go back to a previous release to check, but I
suspect this isn't a "new" problem in the latest release.  I think this may
rather be an "old" problem that either hasn't been or maybe can't be fixed.

If you spin the subreceive dial through a busy section of SWBC spectrum it's
reminiscent of the old playing card and clothespin on the bicycle wheel
trick :)

Grant/NQ5T