Re: [TenTec] (Orion) firmware update with serial port-less computer

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (Orion) firmware update with serial port-less computer
From: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:09:27 -0400
What I have done several times is to look on ebay for a used rocketport PCI
card.  These are UART based and designed for commercial POS applications.
You will find 8 port versions with an external cable.  There are DB9 and
DB25 cable versions.  You will also find cards with no cables.  Don't go for
those as the cables by themselves are hard and expensive to find.  Microsoft
XP includes a certified driver for the Rocketport boards.  You can find one
used for $25-$50.  New ones are available too on ebay for around $300.  You
may have to look for a week or two to find a used one. Make sure you don't
get one for an older ISA type bus--unless you are using an antique computer.

73
Bob W2WG