Re: [TenTec] AUX Keying OminiVI Plus

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AUX Keying OminiVI Plus
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 17:20:19 -0600
On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 11:03 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:
> Or if you don't want even the tiny click of a reed relay (someone has
> claimed it is not true QSK if you can hear a relay click) you could use
> an optocoupler. LED in optocoupler only needs a few mA, not enough to
> bother that transistor, and no inductive kickback. Maybe even faster
> than a tiny reed relay.

Typically a lot faster than a reed relay, microseconds instead of
milliseconds.

There are some LED driven couplers that have a stack of photodiodes that
makes enough voltage to drive the gate of a power MOSFET with no other
circuitry on that gate. Made by IRC the last I looked. Probably slightly
slower than the phototransistor output optocoupler.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,