Re: [TenTec] Cautionary Tale: Orion 13.8 V connector (long)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cautionary Tale: Orion 13.8 V connector (long)
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:30:32 -0600
On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:57 -0400, Dick Green wrote:
> Hi,

<SNIP>

> Many mobile rigs have the power cable pass directly into the radio through a
> strain relief, and the connectors are a few inches down the cable away from
> the radio. I believe this arrangement puts less stress on the connectors.
> Also, I've seen much higher-quality connectors used for mobile rigs, which
> probably aren't vulnerable to the problem I encountered. Although it would
> result in a little pigtail hanging out of the back of the Orion, such an
> arrangement would be superior to the current design. If that's not
> acceptable, I'd recommend a completely different type of power connector.

Yes it puts less strain on the connectors but it also uses far less
precious rear panel space that needs to be filled with heatsink and fan
openings in the modern ultra compact mobile rig.

<SNIP>

> 73, Dick WC1M

More than a few ham rigs suffer from voltage drop in the power cord, the
connectors and the fuse holders. Its seems like nearly all are not up to
job they are assigned to do.

73, Jerry, K0CQ