Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:54:21 -0700
This is very common amongst VHF/UHF weak signal DXers (including
EMEers) too.

It's also little know but wider bandwidths for SSB improve
intelligibility too especially for the very weak signal case (see the
graphs on articulation index versus bandwidth in Sabin's book on SSB).

The reason to use narrower filters is to reduce QRM that your brain
(or the RX) can't deal with.

Why do wider filters work:

1. It avoids the problem of impulse noise being smeared in time by
the limited bandwidth of the filter (and by group delay in the
filter) so in noisey environments a wider filter can help a lot.

2. Your brain is an interesting signal processor. It can act as a
very narrow (50Hz or so) adaptive filter but without the usual
problems of group delay and the like of a real filter.

It was mentioned in EMRFD and you can find it on VHF DXer websites
too. SM5BSZ comes to mind.

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell