Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,"Ten Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?
From: "W.D. (Doc) Lindsey" <dock0evz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:01:58 -0600
Good Evening:

I always thought I was greatly blessed to start out as a rock bound Novice
in late 1960 [g].  Especially since I had a super-wide BW receiver called a
Hallicrafters S-38D.   Seemed like I could hear the entire Novice CW band
without even having to fine-tune.  I was forced to learn to pick out
whoever might be calling me.  Actually, turned out that stations *had* been
replying for a couple of days before I could finally recognise *my own
call* [c].  Eventually my frustrated elmer actually drove over to my house
to point this out!  From then on things began to improve....but verrrrrryyy
slowly.

But the net result of those early trials of 47 years ago is that now I
really CAN copy CW in my head easily, and usually much better without
filtres bands are crowded or there is lots of QSB/QRN.  I actually don't
even particularly want a really complicated rig, preferring the simplest
(the "ZEN?") CW rigs I can find.  Others of course will differ completely,
and that's their schtick.

Oh, forgot to say that it actually took me over four years to memorise the
Morse code, so that I could take the Novice test in 1960!

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ