Re: [TenTec] Orion and WriteLog users?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and WriteLog users?
From: Kevin Anderson <k9iua@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:40:57 -0700 (PDT)
Regarding downgrading of Microsoft Vista as suggested by Ron,
N6IE, I did a bit more research as the idea intrigued me:

According to this Microsoft document,
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc,
Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium **do not** have
downgrade rights.  Only the various business versions of the OS
appear to.

While I like the idea of downgrading and not using Vista, it is
not as easy or permitted in all circumstance.  Even if you could
downgrade (by Microsoft's permissions), it requires that you
already have as an end user a valid registered copy of XP, as
you are essentially transfering that license to this newer
machine (the one that otherwise would have Vista on it), if I
understand things correctly.

For someone who at home is still using Win98SE, I'm out of luck
even if I wanted to upgrade correctly to Windows XP; that window
of opportunity has essentially passed for me.  So instead of
even considering Vista, I'm running Linux on one computer
already at home, and otherwise introducing the family when I can
to open source programs running on Windows, with the idea of
eventually switching everything to Linux when the Win98
computers give up their ghost or become too hard to reinstall
when things get periodically messed up.

Kevin, K9IUA

--
Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA