Re: [TenTec] Technical Correspondence

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Technical Correspondence
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:36:50 -0500
Stuart (K5KVH) said:
"Amen Brother Bob!  Well said.  Even hardware suffers the fate of those who
think they know how to solder, etc."
Bob (K4TAX) said:
"Now then, in this case, the radio is used on the air, in contests, and
receives other public exposure which may in many cases be poor
representation of the product."
Paul (KD3AF) said:
"I like it in the closet"
It seems pretty clear that there isn't much support from some of Ten-Tec's
customers for "direct amateur involvement" in the improvement of their products
- hardware or software. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, but being a
member of a number of other reflectors - Tower Talk, Topband, Amplifiers,
DXBase, Elecraft and some others, I find the "hands-off" perspective a bit
unique to this reflector. I wonder if it really represents the views of many of
the hams on this reflector that have done the Orion mod (Including soldering)
to use the bandscope with the V2 code? Of if it represents the views of those
that have put in the INRAD roofing filter mod in the Omni VI (X)?

For me, and I think many others from their participation on reflectors,  this
hobby is all about continuous learning and trying to improve receivers,
antennas, amplifiers et. al.  I think that has been part of this hobby since
its inception and has always involved amateurs experimenting and testing new
hardware techniques and, more recently, newly developed or modified software.
Discussions that explore ideas on new ways to do that seem perfectly on target
to me.

Can you say "appliance?"
73, Merle - W0EWM