Re: [TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2
From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:45:58 +0000
Doug, I expect you'll get a lot of differing opinions, but here's my
two cents.  You don't need dual elements - just go with the HC-5 if
you want to use a headset (708 is probably a better sounding mic
though).  You can accomplish the same thing as the HC-4 by adjusting
your Orion's TX EQ value with an additional 3-5dB toward the negative
side (e.g., -10dB for ragchewing and -13to-15dB for dx'ing - adjust be
ear while monitoring).  You probably don't need a noise gate unless
you go with a very sensitive microphone, such as a condensor type.
Have someone record your tx audio and hear for yourself if there's a
lot of blower noise present.

73,
Barry N1EU