Re: [TenTec] Using a comptuer microphone with a Triton 4 (544)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using a comptuer microphone with a Triton 4 (544)
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:25:15 -0600
The D-104 has proven to be a time tried consistent performer.
Unfortunately, many D-104 mike today have an element that is defective.
Defective not as in no or low output, but brittle thus one that sounds bad.
New replacements are hard to come by and somewhat expensive.  Replacements
such as the Heil HC-5 work and typically sound good.  However, to drive
older radios, the amplified base stand is usually required.  But this then
is no longer a D-104.

Secondly, those with the amplified base stand may have their problems too.
Many due to efforts to configure them to drive different loads and various
PTT switching arrangements.

At the same time, in view of all of the above,  a good D-104 is an
outstanding performer on SSB and AM too.  The following link is very helpful
in wiring the mike, configuring the PTT switching and such.
http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/Astatic_D-104_Papers.html

73
Bob, K4TAX