Re: [TenTec] Using a D-104 microphone with a Triton 4

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using a D-104 microphone with a Triton 4
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:36:01 -0500
At 11:36 AM 11/16/2007, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>The D-104 is a crappy microphone for SSB, always has been. It has a
>rising characteristic intended (in the 30s) to emphasize the highs at
>the transmitter that were rolled off in the typical AM receiver IF
>selectivity that had a very rounded pass band.

While Jerry"s historical note is true, the D-104 has worked well with
the early series TenTec rigs despite the technical reasons why it won't.
The Triton and early OMNI sets sound very good with the 104, if my
experience is valid.

When I graduated to the Corsair and then the PLL sets, this was not
the case.  The input Z of the newer sets must be lower.

I have been using my OMNI C/D-104 on NavyMars circuits for many years
and get unsolicited reports of great audio even now.  When asked what
I'm using, the response is bewilderment (and maybe disappointment) on
the part of the new ops, as they can't imagine the OLD gear being that good.

I'm an old broadcaster, and I don't put up with crummy audio, if that adds
to any credibility I may have.  :-)

FWIW & 73,
Perry  w8au