Re: [TenTec] Cyberpower 3000 rif

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cyberpower 3000 rif
From: "Denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:58:26 -0800
Thanks for the good advice Ken....I am also forwarding this to the other
local ham club members...

Ok good advicer...sine wave from the ups looks very clean...very few
jaggies...definitely a sine rather than a stepped wave....when the ups is
inactive, the 120 vac in this qth looks very good. I will re-scope the ac
output again when I get all my work done.
When the ups is inactive....normal 120 vac operation...there is no rfi from
the unit. When I used to kill the circut breaker to the ac line feeding the
ups, then the rfi shows up...
However, I did a few things that have gotten it down to a much less rfi
level.
I have a long wire monitoring antenna, with the feedpoint just on the other
side of the wall of the basement where the ups resides, when I pulled down
that particular hf antenna, a lot of the rfi went away. It dropped to a
further level when I put ferrite clamp chokes on the dc lines from the
battery pack to the ups, and re-installed an isobar on the ac line from the
ups that feeds the radio station. Some other lower end ups manufacteurers
state not to install additional filtering after the output of a filtered
ups, but the literature I downloaded for my particular ups says nothing in
that regards. To my thinking, the more filtering, the better.
I still have a tad of rfi from the ups on 40 meters, but it is not
interfering with weak signal work on that band near as much as it was...by a
long shot.
The radio station currently resides in the upstairs office that is just
above the basement room where the ups is residing..since we are doing some
remodeling, the radio station and our computer stations will be moved to
another room, doubling the distance to the ups....a bit more grounding work
and isolation, and I think it the rfi will no longer be an item.
We are having a lot of variable weather this fall...two snow storms already
and can get some real nasty wind and rain storms going thru this
area....already have had at least 3 times the normal ac power failed for a
short period of time and the radio and computer stations didn't even
blink...so the ups system is doing its job.
Lead acid gas absorption mat batteries are sure expensive these days! Too
much demand for lead worldwide is my understanding.