Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec commitment to customers...

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec commitment to customers...
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:09:43 -0600
> Gosh Grant you have mellowed out a bit... I have about three years
> worth of your emails on this subject. You weren't always so
> forgiving.
> :)

I do think there's a goodly list of things that need to be done, especially
relative to the current state of firmware for the original Orion, where I
think T-T did in fact leave the current owners essentially stranded.  And I
think doing away with Doug's original DSP architecture was a (very
understated) 'unfortunate' move.  And certainly I have my own list of things
that could stand improvement in the II.  Perhaps one day T-T will let John
Henry loose on the O.

Problem now is that there's no money in it for T-T.  It would be virtually
all cost, with small marginal return since the big buying spree is most
likely long over and moved on to whatever the current hot radio is.  So I
don't hold much hope that much of consequence will be done -- until the
'next' high end radio is in development, if there is one.  One could make
the case that doing more for the current radios will keep T-T users happy
and more likely to purchase the next one, and one could also make the case
that work on the Orions could lead to new and better ideas for the next
thing, whatever it is.  Although I'm not interested in seeing a lot of
broken code while T-T experiments.

Of course, none of that makes either Orion less of a radio than it is.

As to mellowing, the older I get the grumpier I get -- or so my wife tells
me :) I suppose it's mostly that I've reached a point where there are bigger
things to worry about than smaller things.

I rarely even read the list any more.  But when I take a gander once in a
while, it always seems that it's off on the "topic that just won't die"
again ;)

Grant/NQ5T