[TenTec] Inrad roofing filter mod for Omni VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Inrad roofing filter mod for Omni VI+
From: Thomas <ac7a@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:12:41 -0800
Hi,

First off, my Omni VI+ is a terrific radio. Recently, I had an opportunity to
get a newer radio, maybe fancier radio, if I were willing to sell my Omni. It
was an exciting prospect at first, but then as I thought to myself - why on
earth would I give up a nearly perfect radio that I really like? Anyway, now
I've got the bug to do something more with my VI+.

As almost everyone knows Inrad makes a roofing filter kit for the Omni family
of radios. A friend of mine in California, who has 2 Omni VI+, swears the mod
provides a substantial increase in dynamic range. He says it is just great in
crowded contests when copying weak signals amongst the very strong signals.
Here's my question:

I have the optional Ten Tec 250 and 500Hz first IF CW filters. The Inrad CW
roofing filter mod is available with the #763 normal pitch filter (750Hz), or
#765 low pitch filter (500Hz). I prefer listening to CW at 500Hz vs. 750Hz.
Will the low pitch filter work in conjunction with the standard Ten Tec CW
filters?

By the way, I used to belong to the Inrad mail list, but I think it is gone.
Otherwise I would have asked this question there.

Thanks in advance.

'73, Thomas - AC7A (Tucson)