Re: [TenTec] Inrad roofing filter mod for Omni VI+

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad roofing filter mod for Omni VI+
From: "Wayne Whitman" <wwhitman@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:11:14 -0600
Thomas - I have an Omni VI+ that I purchased used and then installed the
Inrad cw filter in.
My Omni has all of the cw filters.
I went with the low pitch filter and I would recommend it highly.  It
really does help with those close strong signals.
As some others have said on eHam reviews, I installed mine so it is
switched in and out with the attn button so you retain complete filter
switching flexibility.
I think you will find it a worthwhile addition.  Takes about a half hour
to install.

As for fancier radios, I also have an Orion II.  From my experience, I
can't tell any difference in copy capability on cw between the two rigs.
 I like the way the notch and passband work better on the Omni myself.
The big advantages to the Orion II over the Omni are the ability to work
split and hear both ends and having the bandscope.

Good luck with your choice,
73,
Wayne

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:12:41 -0800, "Thomas" <ac7a@cox.net> said:
> Hi,
>
> First off, my Omni VI+ is a terrific radio. Recently, I had an
> opportunity to get a newer radio, maybe fancier radio, if I were willing
> to sell my Omni. It was an exciting prospect at first, but then as I
> thought to myself - why on earth would I give up a nearly perfect radio
> that I really like? Anyway, now I've got the bug to do something more
> with my VI+.
>
> As almost everyone knows Inrad makes a roofing filter kit for the Omni
> family of radios. A friend of mine in California, who has 2 Omni VI+,
> swears the mod provides a substantial increase in dynamic range. He says
> it is just great in crowded contests when copying weak signals amongst
> the very strong signals. Here's my question:
>
> I have the optional Ten Tec 250 and 500Hz first IF CW filters. The Inrad
> CW roofing filter mod is available with the #763 normal pitch filter
> (750Hz), or #765 low pitch filter (500Hz). I prefer listening to CW at
> 500Hz vs. 750Hz. Will the low pitch filter work in conjunction with the
> standard Ten Tec CW filters?
>
> By the way, I used to belong to the Inrad mail list, but I think it is
> gone. Otherwise I would have asked this question there.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> '73, Thomas - AC7A (Tucson)
  Wayne Whitman
  Cell:270-282-3550