Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Chirp Report

To: "N4YG" <n4yg@comcast.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Chirp Report
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:24:15 -0500
> Well it seems that Don is very happy with the Logic EPROM version 1.02
> solution, but Paul says it only partially masks the problem at the expense
> of QSK. What is the effect on QSK? I guess I will just have to try version
> 1.02 and see for myself?

Joe, I would experiment with both EPROMs and use the one that works best for
you.  If you are satisfied with the sound of the transmitted CW tone, then I
would leave it alone.  You may find that after critically listening to your
rig and comparing it with others on the air, that in time, you will be able
to quickly identify the Omnis.  Also, if you have access to the on-line QST
product reviews, compare and contrast the keyed CW waveforms of the VI with
that of the VI+.  The difference seen is caused by changes developed in the
ALC circuit.

By my comments, some might think that I am down on the Omni VI/VI+.  To the
contrary - I owned mine for thirteen years and it was the best and most
enjoyable rig I had ever owned up until two years ago.  I simply decided to
improve its keying and learned some things in the process.

In my opinion, TT reached the pinnacle of CW keying with the Omni VII.  I
cannot imagine how it could be improved.  It is that good.

Paul, W9AC