Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio
From: Peter Inskeep <pinskeep@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:08:31 -0700 (PDT)
Try rotating the pass band tuning knob slightly to the left or right.  On my
Omni VI Plus there is some point where the upper and lower sidebands sound the
same.  It is not quite in the middle.

On upper side band the knob needs to be turned slightly clockwise.  On lower
sideband, counterclockwise.  Not much, but you should notice a difference.

On CW I also usually turn the PBT knob a bit counterclockwise, as my ears
pickup a lower CW note better than a higher CW note.  I also run the CW beat
lower than the 750 Hz.  that apparently is the TT standard.

But, I probably should not even comment, as I seldom ever have the mike hooked
up to the rig.

pete, no2d.

Fraser Robertson <g4bjm@hotmail.com> wrote:
Our club's Omni6+ option3 sounds very different on USB and LSB, and it's not
possible to correct it by adjusting the BFO frequencies, so it must be down to
the filter being asymetrical.  I understood that was a common failing, but
perhaps our filter is faulty?

73 Fraser G4BJM
> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:37:51 -1000> From: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net> To:
> tentec@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio> > > > Now I
> don't know why the higher bands are different on your rig.> > Wonder if you
> have an antenna problem? > >> > > If the SSB Receive (or transmit) audio
> sounds different on 10, 15, 20 > meters than it does on 40, 75 meters, you
> should be comparing the sound > on USB versus LSB. Your SSB audio
> characteristic should not change at > all due to changing bands, other than
> because of the convention of using > USB above 9 MHz and LSB below 9 MHz. The
> audio characteristics also > should not change very much from USB to LSB. If
> it does change, that is > an indication that your BFO frequencies are
> misaligned for one or both > SSB modes. Another possibility, although not
> nearly as likely, is a > partially failed crystal filter with a
> non-symmetrical passband shape. > The first thing to do is check the BFO
> frequencies. If you install
 new
  > filters, of any brand, without getting the BFO frequencies right, you >
will still have a problem.> > DE N6KB> >