Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio
From: Fraser Robertson <g4bjm@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:20:38 +0000
Thanks Bob, yes I'm referring to the TX signal, although RX is similar of
course.  I agree with what you say, although the Omni6+ SSB filter is worse
than that in any other rig I've used.  I did align the oscillators as per the
manual, in fact I had to pad one of them as there wasn't enough adjustment
range.  I rarely use SSB myself so will let someone else worry about it!  73
Fraser> From: RMcGraw@Blomand.net> To: tentec@contesting.com> Date: Mon, 17 Mar
2008 20:02:33 -0500> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio> > Typical of
filters, the shape factor or each side of the slope as measured > from the -3
dB points is typically not identical although we'd like to think > they are and
wish they were. Thus a modulated carrier placed on the side of > the slope, at
say the -3 dB points, will sound different when listening to > USB or LSB
output products of the filter. It is not a common failing, it is > a law of
economical filter design and selection of filters that have a > rea
 sonable or tolerable amount of insertion loss as well as a host of other >
factors such as ripple across the top, phase shift, group delay and etc.> > I
do not discount that fact that a crystal component within the filter may > fail
or may change frequency such that, in either case, the shape factor of > the
filter changes. If you have means to measure the filter and its skirts > and
insertion loss then you might find a clue as to why it sounds different > on
USB and LSB. Otherwise, invest in a new filter and then complete an > alignment
of the BFO oscillators. It is important that the alignment be > carried out in
the exact sequence as described in the manual. There is > interaction between
the adjustments. Even the FSK adjustments need to be > made although you may
never intend to operate FSK.> > I trust you are speaking of transmit signal
sounding different an not > receive signal sounding different. For receive
signal sounding different > that may be caused by and additi
 onal factor being mis-alignment of the > PassBand tuning oscillator.> > 73>
Bob, K4TAX> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Fraser Robertson"
<g4bjm@hotmail.com>> To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>; "Discussion of Ten-Tec
Equipment" > <tentec@contesting.com>> Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 6:49 PM>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio> > > >> > Our club's Omni6+ option3
sounds very different on USB and LSB, and it's > > not possible to correct it
by adjusting the BFO frequencies, so it must be > > down to the filter being
asymetrical. I understood that was a common > > failing, but perhaps our filter
is faulty?> >> > 73 Fraser G4BJM> >> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:37:51 -1000>
From: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net> > >> To: tentec@contesting.com> Subject: Re:
[TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio> > > > >> > Now I don't know why the higher bands
are different on your rig.> > > >> Wonder if you have an antenna problem? > >>
> > If the SSB Receive (or > >> transmit) audio sounds differen
 t on 10, 15, 20 > meters than it does on > >> 40, 75 meters, you should be
comparing the sound > on USB versus LSB. > >> Your SSB audio characteristic
should not change at > all due to changing > >> bands, other than because of
the convention of using > USB above 9 MHz > >> and LSB below 9 MHz. The audio
characteristics also > should not change > >> very much from USB to LSB. If it
does change, that is > an indication > >> that your BFO frequencies are
misaligned for one or both > SSB modes. > >> Another possibility, although not
nearly as likely, is a > partially > >> failed crystal filter with a
non-symmetrical passband shape. > The first > >> thing to do is check the BFO
frequencies. If you install new> > > filters, of any brand, without getting the
BFO frequencies right, you > > > will still have a problem.> > DE N6KB> > > >