Re: [TenTec] Cleaning an Argonaut 509

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cleaning an Argonaut 509
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:23:31 -0600
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:13 -0400, Bill Ames wrote:

> I have a 509 which has been sitting unused for many years and has gotten a
> layer of dirt, sort of like aged dust. It is otherwise like new, just needs
> to be cleaned. Can anyone suggest the best method to do so?

Keep it dry. Don't toss in a liquid to run into IF transformers and
shielded coils. Don't blow the dust out with air, to hide it in those
same places. Instead loosen the dust with a short bristled brush, like a
1/2" wide artists paint brush or an acid brush (from the hardware store)
and vacuum out the dust. Use a micro attachment for the vacuum so the
hose tip is under a half inch wide. They do make such for cleaning
computer keyboards, but I use a milker inflation from a farm store.
Trouble is few farm stores carry them in single unit packages (takes
four to service one cow). The large end of the milker inflation fits
over the 1-1/4" vacuum hose and the small end is soft and flexible to
get close to corners without damaging parts. The brush then gets all the
way into corners and crannies to loosen the remaining dust for the
vacuum to pull from the radio. Also work to clean the front panel and
the knobs.

The dry technique won't take out or off patina from the user's skin oils
though. Use any liquid sparingly because cleaning liquids are not good
lubricants nor absolutely non corrosive.

When dry and very reserved use of liquid won't clean, there have been
brews that when mixed properly (ALL the components from acetone through
to oleic acid) safely will clean the worst of grunge from equipment, but
then the radio has to be rinsed well with clean water and dried for a
couple days with 180 to 200 degree dry air. The brew without the oleic
acid will eat plastic parts because of the acetone content.

> Bill
>
> KB1LG

73, Jerry, K0CQ