Re: [TenTec] LEGAL LIMIT PLUS AMP ALPHA 77D

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] LEGAL LIMIT PLUS AMP ALPHA 77D
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:47:38 -0500
First let me make it clear that I am not one that participates in nor enjoys
contests of any kind.  Now with that said, I'll proceed to admonish the
contest bunch as a whole.  And as Ken said, their operating practice is
"probably not a good operating practice".  Oh boy, is that ever true.

In reading various responses from those that are apparently contesters, I
find one thing that seems to be common thread.  They expect to be able to
transmit 100% of the time.  Now that says they never or rarely listen.
Should not ones transmit time about equal the receive time?  Seems
reasonable to me.  Otherwise a condition producing something like 50% duty
cycle?  Oh we've gotten into the automatic CQ systems that are far from
productive.  Basically turning operators into a bunch of "alligators"
otherwise known as large mouth, small brains.   This basically defines why
the bands are full of QRM and crap during contests.  Everyone wants to call
all the time and listen a lesser amount of time.  I believe it is skill and
not power that wins contests.

I've had three Titans in the shop for various reasons and repairs.  Most
faults have been found to exist due to mis-use or operation by the owner
which turned out to be failure to properly connect and operate for QSK.  One
due to lightning damage.  I don't find them to be "light weight" in terms of
performance or duty cycle for amateur radio service.  A 50% duty cycle, 10
min on and 10 min off, for 100% duty cycle modes such as RTTY.

Of course if you believe that one needs a 100% duty cycle, legal limit amp,
then pay the price.  And too if one should add 3 dB of gain to the antenna
then one benefits both on transmit and receive.

73
Bob, K4TAX