Re: [TenTec] LEGAL LIMIT PLUS AMP ALPHA 77D

To: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] LEGAL LIMIT PLUS AMP ALPHA 77D
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:45:57 -0700
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:40:28 -0500, Arthur Trampler wrote:

>I recall
>NQ4I noting in a recent contest that they picked up a couple hundred QSOs
on
>40 meters during the day, when it was "dead," by just such a practice.
>Again, even if this is a short CQ followed by a shorter break to listen,
all
>day long, it is not 100% duty cycle.

Yes. During the recent CQWPX SSB contest, I was in the 10M chair at NR6O
(N6RO) during the day and 75M at night. Between about 11 am and 5pm, I made
125 Qs on 10M by continuously "calling CQ into a dead band," while listening
on my second VFO for other stations calling CQ. Between about 7:30 pm and 5
am the night before, I made 530 Qs on 75M. Our team finished with 821 Qs on
75M. We also spent a lot of time CQing on 160M, and made 264 Qs on that
band.

BTW -- we appear to have come in second in the US. The team that beat us
stateside, NQ4I, made 2,094 Qs on 40M. AO8A, who appears to be the top
scoring team worldwide, made 2,521 Qs on 15M. The second highest worldwide
appears to be 6Y1V. He made 3,043 Qs on 20M from Jamaica. This suggests that
there were probably something like 5,000 stations in the contest.

During two two-night 160M contests this winter, I made 667 and 740 Qs, and
several guys out here beat me by at least 30%. Good operators on the east
coast made twice these numbers. By comparing these numbers to typical
activity on a non-contest weekend one might draw the conclusion that
contesters are making far greater use of the ham bands than casual
operators.

Ducking and covering. :)

73,

Jim K9YC