Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuners...questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuners...questions
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 13:48:37 -0700
I believe the LDG is rated at 1000 watts as per its model number.
There are MANY MFJ models, some for 100 watts, others 300 watts, and
some rated at 1500 watts output, or more.  I don't know which model you
are commenting upon.  Certainly then, there are some models of MFJ that
are not designed to tune a 1.5kW output rig, and that is true of
specific models of other brand tuners.  There are other MFJ and allied
company models that are rated higher than the legal output of any ham rig.

You certainly should look inside any tuner before buying it.   That is
why there are MFJ tuners at each ham show, with their covers off, in the
MFJ booths, and I have seen other brands with their covers off at
distributors that you might judge for yourself if the construction is
going to be adequate for your planned application.

One of the great joys of ham radio is looking inside rigs and
accessories.  The Ten Tec tuners have been made with good components,
and adequate room to have high Q.  The use of an L network removes one
potential lossy component from the tuner and antenna system power budget.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH