Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner

To: "info4mjs@att.net" <info4mjs@att.net>, "Marinus Loewensteijn" <mjloewensteijn@hotmail.com>, "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 19:00:32 -0700
On Thu, 1 May 2008 23:40:37 +0000, Marinus Loewensteijn wrote:

>A balanced feed will always have the lowest losses, regardless what
>antenna you hang at the end. You can even hang a vertical at the
>end through a wideband balun.

Not necessarily. There's some excellent work reported in one of the
ARRL Antenna Compendiums showing that window line is quite lossy
when it's wet.

I suggest that you (and anyone else who thinks a balanced feedline
makes a balanced antenna study my RFI tutorial and the associated
Power Point on Coax Chokes.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

ANY antenna without a REALLY GOOD common mode choke at the feedpoint
can be quite noisy on receive. It's not very practical to put ANY
common mode choke on a balanced feedline, let alone a REALLY GOOD
one.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC