Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 Oscillator frequency problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 Oscillator frequency problem
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:17:19 -0700
Rob:

The frequency drift problem on Orions and Orion II's is well documented.
Since every TCXO is slightly different, replacing the unit might improve
overall stability, but it might also make it worse.  Adjusting the TCXO will
get it closer on frequency but it won't improve the drift problem.

If you go to my web site, www.n6ie.com, you see two pages that deal with the
problem.  One is a simple mod that involves placing a small fan over the
TCXO to slow down its heat-up rate and allow the temperature compensation in
the oscillator module time do its job, which improves overall stability.
The other shows how to adjust the TCXO so that after a reasonable warm-up,
which is reduced to about 30 minutes with the fan mod, the frequency ends up
pretty close to WWV, generally within +- 3 Hz at 15 MHz.

          Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com