Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 22:00:17 -0400
Unfortunately for us all, many linear amplifiers have some gain at VHF
frequencies.  In fact, much has been written about the idea that gain at VHF
frequencies can cause runaway "glitches" in linears, in some cases
destroying them.

There are always sources of VHF energy at the input of a linear, even if
only occasional switching transients from keying the rig on and off.  One
could easily imagine these being amplified unintentionally.

Thus was my reasoning for having a filter after the linear.

Now, I chose to put it after the tuner.  In my case that leads to no issues,
as my antennas are resonant, 50 ohm nominal loads.  But if someone else's
antennas really needed a tuner, then obviously one could place the filter
after the amp but before the tuner.

Regardless of all that, I still think one is probably enough, and my
practice is likely overkill.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ