Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:01:35 -0400
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson writes...

> In music the first harmonic is at 2x the fundamental. In radio the
> "first harmonic" IS the fundamental. The the order of the radio harmonic
> is the multiple of the fundamental.

Actually, folks who delve into musical acoustics use the term
"overtone" and "partial" more often than "harmonic". The second
harmonic, which is at the octave of the fundamental, is usually called
the second partial by musicians, and the first overtone by
acousticians who talk to musicians. "Harmonic" is usually used in the
general sense, as in "harmonic content".

As a tuba player, I'm intimately familiar with harmonic resonance (I
didn't say "musical", heh). Normal play of a brass instrument requires
exciting resonance at some multiple of the fundamental resonant
frequency of the bugle.

Sorry for the tangent, but the conceptual parallels between brass
instrument acoustics and electromagnetic fields are remarkable, and
Dr. Jerry opened the door. The frequency domain, once entered, reveals
surprisingly similar scenery.

Rick, KR9D