Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:00:19 -0700
Indeed, those are higher frequencies, although the absorption rate at those
wavelengths is lower than some commonly used amateur frequencies, at least
according to OET-65.   At radar frequencies, dish antennas can develop a lot
of gain and ERP's get enormous, giving rise to the "microwave oven effect".
Why did the Navy check those guys in 1958?  Who knows?  They didn't know
much about RF back then.  When I was in the Navy in 1969, the rumor was that
radar operators got cataracts as a result of working around the equipment,
but we know now that that's not true.  As for the guy who was on the nuclear
powered carrier, again, *ionizing* radiation from nuclear sources and
*non-ionizing* radiation from RF have nothing in common except that they
"radiate" out from a central point.  So does a light bulb.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com