Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: "Bob Close" <rclose@nhwisp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:29:26 -0400
Jim, it has been a long time since I got to ask a  question of a PhD
engineer type!

 IF the transceiver had harmonics and those were transferred to the linear,
would they not be amplified by a factor of ten? (at  least where the
harmonics fell into the range that the amp might be able to work on them)
Then, if they were filtered they might not be so quiet as to be
insignificant? A filter isn't a brick wall for those frequencies outside of
the pass band.   If filtered before the amp, the linear amplification would
only be done on the good stuff, right?  I would think the overall effect
would be a cleaner signal out of the linear, and a lower overall content of
harmonics to filter (only those generated by the linear amp (which would
mean it was not so linear)) .

 I guess I am, for the sake of discussion,  assuming the amp was being
driven by equipment inferior to TenTec,  (or perhaps Elecraft to keep those
guys happy) with it's resulting rice-induced harmonic content.  :)  Please
ignore the dumb presentation, but I am seriously asking the question:  Might
not there be benefit to filtering between the exciter and the linear
amplifier if the exciter was not clean?