[TenTec] Sil pads versus mica washers (mounting transistors to heatsinks

To: Tentec list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Sil pads versus mica washers (mounting transistors to heatsinks)
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <zl2ml@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 07:06:43 +0800
I am waiting for the new drivers and new finals for my transceiver to arrive
(should have been here already).

One thing has just cropped up and perhaps some of the more up-to-date
knowledgeable ones among you can give me advice.

When I was active 20 years ago the only thing that we had for insulation were
mica washers. The finals are no problem - they go straight against the heatsink
and do not need any insulation. The drivers, MRF 476, 3 watt disipation, need
to be mounted with insulation. Mica washers were used but when I went to get
some the ones available were quite stiff and thick, approx 1/64" (0.75 mm) from
a rough "guesstimate". I was told that no-one ueses them these days anyway that
sil pads were the ones to use instead. What's the life expectancy of this
silicone robber insulation? What about reliability?

Anyone able to shed more light on this?

Many thanks in advance, Marinus, ZL2ML.