Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!
From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
I have one of those 12 element 2 meter SSB antennas with a folded dipole as a
driven element.  Thats one of the things I looked for when I bought it.

I can see what you call a sham and why.  The DB just worked better on receive.
Thats what I was looking for.  With the Hercules II amp, I can afford to have a
little XMIT loss.

Single band antennas have an advantage on receive as compare when using a
conventional FD on multiple bands.  The tuned floating elements in the fold of
the FD helped but not enough as far as I was concerned on receive.  If you
cannot her them you cannot work them, which was my situation.

After adding all those common mode chokes, thanks to the Doc's help, and
reduced my noise floor a bit more, maybe I should re-run the test to see if any
thing changed.  Things are working so well with the DB on 17M.  I hate to
change anything now.

By the way on the TV in the house that got RFI that I could not do anything
about, the common mode chokes on the interconnecting cables, if I run half
power now, the problem goes away.  BIG improvement.

 Thanks, and Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD