Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:41:59 +0000
The shortfall of any software is that it is bound to the assumptions or rules
of the programmer(s). Yes, we have some wonderful antenna modeling software,
but as Jerry states, the only real data is empirical. It's got to be measured.
Good software (not all of it is) is a great place to start, but they the model
has to be built, tested, tweaked and tested again. It can be an endless cycle.

We've seen the same thing to some extent when we model an HF antenna at VHF for
convenience. Not all the laws of the real world apply themselves to RF that is
removed from the desired frequency by an order of 10 or more.

So, don't shun good tools like NEC and MINNINEC, but understand the caveat that
not everything that looks like a duck is indeed a duck

Dave
WA3MKB

p.s. Besides, the greatest fun can be found in building and toying with
something new. I have learned a lot from even my dumbest ideas (proven to be so
when built and tested).

From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>