Re: [TenTec] Bizuka antenna

To: mgorniak@genesiswireless.us, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bizuka antenna
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:07:46 -1000
There is at least one email reflector I subscribe to that is so strictly
moderated that it is almost useless. Many questions are posted and very
few of the responses are posted. The person who asks the question may
receive some informative replies. The rest of the "participants" in the
reflector see little but the questions. I prefer the format here on the
Ten-Tec reflector, where all subscribers really can be participants, and
much discussion about various topics can be read or deleted.

If you are concerned about wear on your delete key, get an email program
that lets you use the mouse to delete messages. I am using Mozilla
Thunderbird, which has a filter function in the "Tools" drop down menu.
If your email program has this or something similar, you can quickly
make a filter to automatically delete any message with the word
"bazooka" in it, or in the subject line, unless some joker changes the
spelling..

I use a center fed dipole, and open wire line. It is about 80 feet long,
and I can tune it with the Johnson Matchbox on most any band. If I add
the right length of ladder line in the shack, I can get the other bands.
I suspect if I were to get inside the matchbox and move a few coil taps,
I could get all bands without adding feed line sections. It takes a
whole lot of removing screws to get that thing opened, so I haven't done
it. The antenna is made from about 22 gauge wire and has survived all
kinds of local weather (it does not freeze or snow here). If it had a
balun at the feed point or was made from coax, it would be a lot heavier
and require much more tension to have the same amount of sag. It would
also be much more visible and probably not quite as efficient, though
the loss might not be measurable with any instruments I have in the
shack. I use it with a Ten-Tec Omni VI or Paragon II.

DE N6KB