Re: [TenTec] OT 75 Ohm twin feeder

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT 75 Ohm twin feeder
From: Dave Kelley <dkelley@bucknell.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:45:55 -0400
All good information, but one minor correction is needed.  The lowest
molecular resonance of liquid water (or at least distilled water at room
temperature and standard atmospheric pressure) is around 17 GHz, not 650
MHz.  At a few hundred MHz and below the dielectric constant of water is
close to 81.  As the frequency rises through the molecular resonance
point, the dielectric constant drops steadily, reaching a value of
around 2 at the upper end of the commonly accepted RF range (300 GHz and
beyond).

Off-topic info:  By the way, water *vapor* behaves very differently from
liquid water.  It has several resonant frequencies throughout the upper
microwave and millimeter ranges.  Along with the resonances of oxygen
and to a lesser extent other atmospheric constituents, it is responsible
for the high propagation loss experienced in those frequency ranges.

73,
Dave NB4J