Re: [TenTec] How to access and remove Omni6+ XTAL OSC/LO Mixer board?

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to access and remove Omni6+ XTAL OSC/LO Mixer board?
From: "Dr Jack A. Mandelman" <modeler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:24:16 +0000

 Hi Ken,

Thanks for your quick reply.  The filter is shared and switched by either of
the 15M or 12M enable DC voltages.  The 15M and 12M switching voltages are
"ORed" by diodes D33 and D34 near connector 86.  As such, a bad contact to
either of the diodes would not make both bands fail.  Therefore I believe that
it's something in the filter itself.

I will first reflow the solder to the BA482 switching diodes, D38 and D43, to
the filter, in the hope that the problem may be a cracked solder joint whose
resistance is sensitive to thermal expansion.   However, because of the
repeatability of the fail going away after a short warm up, I'm beginning to
think that either BA482 might be marginal; the series on-resistance drops with
increasing temperature and may be too high at room ambient but ok to pass the
L.O. signal at elevated temperature.

Once I remove all the cables to the back of the rig and take it down from the
shelf I'll scope the L.O. signal to see how it compares with other bands.  I
should still be able to see the L.O. signal in RX mode (but not in TX mode)
even with the LL driver/NB and FM boards removed.  Then I'll check the
distribution of the switching voltages while pressing gently on components of
the filter.

I plan on calling TenTec this coming week to see what they think about this
problem, and order some BA482's at the same time.

73,

Jack K1VT