Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:48:49 -1000
>   RF
> getting into equipment running 500 to 1.5KW is a problem with any
> radio.
Seldom a problem with tube radios, especially operating CW. Does that
mean I'd stick to tube technology? No.
>  Any one who says
> they don't have problems when running high power are eather lieing, lucky or
> extreamly smart.
I may be lucky, or I just take the proper steps to avoid RF problems.
I'm sort of smart, but I don't think it takes a genius to keep RF out of
places it will cause trouble. Again, even with solid state radios,
running mostly CW, RF problems are fewer than when using an audio input
on the rig.
>   Its all
> about how you feel about the radio, front pannel lay out ease of use,
> how intuitive it is to operate, good filters and ability to receive
> those very week signals.
Having a front panel with controls is really nice, if you like that.
Some people like to click a rodent. Cheaper to leave that stuff out and
have a computer do the radio/human interfacing. That is not they way I
want to operate though. The Omni VI works as soon as I flip the switch.
Don't need to wait for anything to boot. At least not a perceptible
amount of time. I don't know about the Onions, maybe they're ready to go
right away too, and as long as you don't get them in a knot, they work.
Omni VI virtually never gets in a knot requiring a power cycle. To be
honest, it has happened once or twice in the five or more years I've
owned one.

DE N6KB