Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??
From: "Kirk.Harding" <Kirk.harding@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:32:46 -0500
Jim,

I own both the OII and a Flex 5000A.  I understand how you feel but don't
agree with you regarding programming and or control of the radio from a
computer.  Yes, there is a slight learning curve to operating either of
these radios from a computer.  However, I must say that once you are aligned
with the overall operating schema, operation and control is very smooth and
easy.
I've just sold my home brewed 4CX5000 amp.  The only problem I had was
during the build process.  Specifically getting the PIC programmed to
control tuning of the steppers.  It took me a couple of weeks to get that
worked out but once I resolved my programming errors, it worked great.
Also, I had no problems with RF getting into anything.  Again, I'm not
suggesting that all goes smoothly.  Sometimes a problem may crop up and then
(obviously) you look for and incorporate a fix.  (By the way, ferrite's (I
used type 31), work great in resolving a lot of RF issues).  And, I'm not
lying when I say that I've had no RF problems.  Maybe minor ones, which were
easily fixed. (At least not in the last 40+ years).  I just purchased and
received a Alpha 9500.  I've have no stray RF problems and operate the amp
from my computer desk top.  I did find a problem with the computer.  The
easiest and fastest fix I could come up with was to rebuild the OS.  Yes, it
took me the better part of a day but it did fix the problem. The original
problem was what I created by not being diligent in my filing system.
(Another story)!!
Getting back to transceiver computer control;  I much prefer using the
Flex5000A over the OII.  First, I find the Flex5000A (although marginal) out
performs the OII especially on receive.  And, with the (Flex) free flowing
SW upgrades, it just keeps getting better. Don't misunderstand.  I think the
OII is a quality instrument but in my estimation the Flex is much better.
Like most of us who join and read these reflectors, I have found it to be
more cost effective to buy versus build.  It didn't used to be that way.
When I first started in amateur radio (age 14. I'm now 67) homebrew,
Heathkit et al were the choices.  Even my first receivers were homebrewed.
Obviously, compared to what's available today, weren't very good.  But they
worked and it was not only fun figuring how to put them together it was fun
trouble shooting them.
To get back to your comment about problems with high power; yes there have
been problems but solvable and yes I am formally educated in electronics
(MSEE, MBA). I don't consider myself particularly smart.  However, I am
persistent!  If I encounter a problem, I dog it until I'm satisfied!  By the
way, my interest in Ham Radio and a Dad (K6TMX sk) who encouraged me,
provided me with the fortitude to pursue and gain formal education in the
electronics field.
Anyway, I appreciate the comments you made.  They did push a button however!

All the best,

Kirk, K6KAR
Niceville, FL