Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:45:21 -0600
On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 10:50 -0700, alan geller wrote:
> An Apple executive told me that their success came from designing products
> with great
> "fingerspitzengefuhle", which to him meant that users could feel the device
> thru their fingertips.
>
> This is a very human and analog sense in an increasingly digital world.I like
> tuning in signal which
> lets me feel I am capturing the information out of the ether. Hooray for
> knobs and meters. I have been
> on a few computer design teams but I cringe inside when I realize that half
> the people in the world that
> wear shoes make their living by sitting behind a desk filling in and playing
> with spreadsheets..it's getting scary.
>
> Alan/K6ADG

Several VHF and microwave operators are using Flex radios for IFs and
really liking them, as much CW as phone use. Look for KM0T's web page
for an example. http://www.km0t.com/ and
http://www.km0t.com/pages/sdr5000.htm
Lots of microwave modes like rain scatter work better on CW than on
voice, though that can depend on the path geometry. Paths well beyond
the horizon are workable with rain or snow scatter.

73, Jerry, K0CQ