[TenTec] 229A Tuner question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 229A Tuner question
From: David Cuttler <davidcuttler@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
I just acquired a 229A tuner, and I can see that I will have an issue regarding
the panel lights. If I use an RCA plugged cable to my Corsair II everything
will be fine. The panel lights will be on when the Corsair II is on. Here is
where it gets sticky. If I want to use some other hf rigs, It will require
leaving the Corsair II on all the time just to power the panel lights.

I thought about hooking the tuner up to a wall wart, and just leaving it on all
the time, but that will shorten the bulb life, and also consume power 24 hours
a day at a time when everyone should be conserving power.

I am about to drill two holes next to the RCA socket, and install a modern
socket in parrallel to match the common plug used on most of the 12V wall
warts, leave the tuner powered up from the wall wart and also install a push
button switch to turn the panel lights on when required. I do not have a
problem modifying my stuff, because I am not saving it for the next collector.

If someone has a better idea, I am all ears.

David Cuttler – KE6YX