Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fan noise

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fan noise
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:45:36 -0400
Its a common mis-conception that I run into professionally all the time.
The fact is that unless the height of the vertical fins would be quite
large, coupled with a large delta T, there is not enough convection air
induced to make any real difference in the cooling.  The combination of
radiation, and cooling by convection aided by stray air currents is ample in
most cases.  The low transmit duty cycle combined with the large mass of the
sink is also a help.

Heat sink extrusions are cheapest when you buy the long, slender ones, and
the fins always run lengthwise on those.

Of course you could buy wide extrusions, and then cut them off into short
pieces.  But the limited benefit would never repay the cost.

In a perfect world, where everything was free, I'd take the 5% gain from
orienting the fins the other way.  In fact I have done so, on professional
projects where getting the last 5% was vital.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ