Re: [TenTec] Ashing for advise please!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ashing for advise please!
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:49:14 -0500
I use a Hy-Gain DX-88 vertical. In the past I have had Hustler
verticals, which also worked out very well, especially when put up on a
30 foot mast on the roof and worked against tuned radials in a ground
plane arrangement.  I had a Gap vertical up on the roof, also, and had
some real issues with it.  It did not perform well on the lower
frequency bands, and I never did get it working right on 17 meters.  The
Hy-gain is a real challenge to put together, but works very well and
covers most of the HF bands.  Mine is ground mounted on an aluminum post
set in concrete.  I use one of the DX Engineering radial plates, and
have 24 18 foot radials for a counterpoise.  I made them out of #12
insulated wire and hold them in place with some home made staples also
made out of #12 wire.  Now, they are grown into the grass and are not
visible at all. My next goal is to get a DX Engineering tilt over
assembly.  My system works out well with the Omni V and the Corsair II.
   I have made a bunch of contacts using verticals even with my HW-7 and
my Argonaut II. I would recommend the Hustler or the Hy-Gain, with a
modest radial system, use the radial plate and the tilt over assembly
both from DX engineering.  I am very happy with my antenna.  I bought
some nice acreage up in north central Wisconsin, and after I retire I
plan to move up there.  I am planning to bring the vertical with me and
see how well it does with 120 70 foot radials.

73,

Steve WA9JML