Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:42:00 -0600
On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 10:01 -0400, Gary Smith wrote:
> I've got a Corsair II I'm planning on recapping with Ultra Low ESR
> electrolytics. There's a high pitched buzz I can hear which is
> distracting somewhat but is mostly absent when the narrow filters are
> engaged.
>
> It was there when I sent it to the factory for repair several years
> ago and they found no problems but I notice it and it was not there
> on my Omni and is not there on my other radio (not a Corsair).
>
> Any suggestions of which board I might start replacing the caps on to
> eliminate this noise?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary
> KA1J

As a buzz, its not a sinewave but something sawtooth or square with lots
of harmonics? The only part of the radio that does that is the display
board (and keyer). And that board is known to fail to work when the
electrolytic caps go bad.

While low ESR caps may be overkill, they will last longer and not hurt
anything. The run of the mill el cheapo miniature electrolytics
sometimes won't pass my power factor tests right of the shelf new. Low
ESR caps do so far.

73, Jerry, K0CQ